Every company needs a social media presence because building a brand without one is extremely counterproductive to achieving any digital brand equity. A clearly defined social media strategy is a crucial element of your business’ overall marketing strategy. Without a solid strategy or roadmap, your social media efforts are destined to see little to no results.
Social media has other benefits beyond reaching a vast audience. It enables you to:
- Connect with clients both new and old.
- Improve your brand recognition.
- Raise sales.
A well-thought-out social media strategy is invaluable because it not only offers an insight into your potential clients but also provides various unique opportunities in which you can personally engage with them.
Your social media strategy should also define the scope of your social media management. This can be a daunting task, especially if you do not have social media-savvy employees, in which case you might have to employ a social media consultant or an agency to guide you through the process of establishing your team. Regardless of your approach, the value it provides cannot be overstated.
Here are five essential elements of a successful social media strategy that not only improves your brand image but also helps it grow sooner than later.
Setting Social Media Strategy S.M.A.R.T goals
The first step of your social media strategy should be to define S.M.A.R.T goals. These goals are carefully designed to support your business and create a project structure that outlines exactly what you want to achieve by a specific time. Every brand has a goal; some brands may want to sell better quality goods than their competition, while others want better ROI from their marketing campaigns. SMART is helpful because it doesn’t tell you what to do. It is helpful because it shows you precisely how you can do it in the most efficient way possible.
SMART stands for:
- Specific- Unambiguous and well-defined goals that are important to your brand, like generating better leads from among 30+ old individuals.
Ask yourself- What do I want to accomplish?
- Measurable- A meaningful way of Measuring your progress.
Ask yourself: How can I measure how close am I to my goals?
- Achievable- Simple/complicated but Attainable goals that are not impossible.
Ask yourself: Do I have the resources for this task, and have others succeeded before me?
- Relevant- Reasonable and well-researched goals that require a result-based approach.
Ask yourself: Will the goal positively impact my brand by any measurable factor such as, increase in ROI, better engagement on social media, higher retention, etc.
- Timely- Well-defined timeline with and starting and ending date.
Ask yourself: When do I start and what is my deadline? What are the milestones along the way to achieving this goal?
SMART is an actionable strategy. It provides clarity, focus, and motivates you to take action at every step of the journey.
SMART is an important framework for anyone interested in social media marketing because it helps you,
1. Identify the needs of your brand.
2. Create a content calendar to track and measure the progress of your campaign.
3. Put forth realistic goals that are relevant in your industry.
4. Create a timeframe for all your goals to set an atmosphere of urgency.